bot eggs

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
bot eggs

My poor dark bay gelding is a fly magnet! He can be standing right next to my mare and donkey and be covered in a cloud of flies, whilst the others are not bothered. I have read of several natural fly repellants that nclude vinegar and essential oils, and would like some tried and true recipes before lashing out on expensive ingredients. I am not into spraying my family and pets with poisons just to eliminate flies!
I would also like some tried and true remedies for removal of bot fly eggs. I have been using kerosene and a razor, but am interested to hear what others do. We have never had bot flies in our area as far as I know, but just over the past few weeks they have been a real problem. Cheers and thanks!

Re:bot eggs

Brute or Swift, are the only 2 things that I've found that have any real strength to them to combat flies for long term use. Most of the spray on things just wear off after a few hours. If the flies are that bad, then rug with a mesh or flag combo to keep them off him.

Bot eggs just scrape off with a razor. I never put kerosene on them, far too much chance of the kerosene actually burning the horse than doing anything else!

I've always just used a bot knife to remove the bot eggs. Did my mare a couple of days ago, wormed her straight after. I don't think I've seen the bots as bad as what they've been this year.

I just leave a rug on my horse to combat the nasties. I use permoxin once weekly which seems to keep the bugs at bay.

I've never used brute, have had bad experiences with swift burning.

edit: Care needs to be used when removing bot eggs that you don't inhale them yourself.

eeeeeew really? :X can they grow in your belly????

EEEww in our bellies :blink: grosssss !!!.

I can never get them off the horses manes:angry:
I posted a thread on her a while back but didn't much response, vinegar was suggested. but when i got home hubby had painstaikingly got them all off by picking them with his fingers :laugh: :kiss:

someone also said to me, not to remove them in their paddock as they can then eat them off the grass eww :huh:

I'm glad the rise in population is everywhere, I was blaming the neighbours for not pasting their horses and breaking the cycle, but you just po* po*ed that idea, which is good :S

I have been killing fly's every other day on both my brown/bay mares, they seem to like dark horses best - anyone know why ??? The other thing is how they react to the fly.......the two mares get cranky and just walk around or do nothing and just get covered with eggs over their legs BUT my yearling, Bonn, goes absolutely nuts !!!! She will bolt around the paddock and work herself into a white lather and almost turn herself inside out trying to kick them away... weird hey ??!!

As far as removing them goes, I bought a bot block from the States a few years ago and swear by it. It is like a really coarse open and airy synthetic pummice stone, I rub it over the eggs and it pulls them off, this I do where there is no feed because as has been stated before, they will ingest them if they fall on to grass and they feed on that spot. I have read that coarse sandpaper works just as well, obviously extreme care must be taken when using this option.

Another thing I have read is that the bot fly's dont like Tea Tree Oil which, when you think about it, is a natural disinfectant so it shouldnt hurt the horse, obviously dilute it before spraying it on.

Hmmmm, long winded bugger aint I. ;)

seems flys like the darker animals, its the same with buffalo fly too, they seem to hang mostly off the black cows. maybe its a camo thing. Bots have been really bad here too. Spent ages scraping them off (I just used one of my old blunt razors) and in two days their legs were caked in them again and the little culprit was still at it. I never knew that humans can get them, how would you know if you have them or not? and if you do.... how do you get rid of them? ......the mind boggles

Does this mean we humans have to go on a course of worm treatment? :unsure:
I suppose if you have an itchy a**e, dull hair, etc., it's a sure indication, :lol:

I just use a bot knife and the eggs come off really easily. I'm surprised to see so many eggs on my horse this year. Jarrah hates bot flies but does't react to March flies which actually bite. I can't understand that. Usually Jarrah doesn't let bot flies any where near his legs. If I ever see the horses trotting distractedly around the paddock I know it's because of bots. The horses run away from them and it's really funny to see the horses running and a tiny little fly chasing after them.:lol: :Not so funny for the horses though. I wait until they hover near Jarrah's legs and then I hit them. Jarrah doesn't seem to mind a random slap and I hope he will begin to understand that it helps him. I put a cotton rug on him when they are really bad and kill them when I find them near the horses. So it's a mystery to me why Jarrah has eggs on his legs- maybe he has just given up running from them.

HI everyone :)
I to have been doing research on bots, being new to horse ownership I have had my first dealings with bots recently. unrugged my horse to find them in his mane, and over his front legs.

Now to set people’s minds at ease (hopefully!) I found this in my search (yes im a nerd!)

Bots and Humans (from university of Kentucky)
On rare occasions, bots can invade the oral tissue of humans. The small larvae may burrow behind the lips or inner cheek and cause an uncomfortable sensation. They are unable to develop in humans so the small larvae will die within a few days. For example, rubbing or petting an area where bot eggs are attached can result in larvae on the hands and subsequent transfer to the person's mouth.
http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef504.asp

I also read somewhere that human intestines can’t support bots and if ingested they will die in a few days!!

There is apparently a human bot fly but from what I can gather it’s actually a different type of bot then the one that attacks the horses. And im not totally sure but I dont think its found in australia!
lol theres my 2 cents worth, now I get to spend tomorrow getting them off my horse!! Question, is it dangerous to leave them on a horse too long?? He is regulary wormed, so if he has ingested them could it be a problem??
Thanks!! :)

I was going to post something along these lines asking how others remove their horses bot eggs and any way of keeping the awful little blighters away. But you did it for me, thanks Amanda! :) They do like the darker horses better they like our black pony and bay mare better than our chestnut/ white appy. I think maybe their eyesight is not so good! as one was hanging around my legs for ages the other day, (stupid thing). I always squash them when I can and I know it is not a good thing as the horses can ingest the eggs from off the ground but I figure it is hard to find every single egg and remove it anyway. As far as removing them we always used a razor but we found a grooming block (we call them fart blocks because they stink!) seems to get them off quite well too. I also heard a story years ago about someone getting a bot egg in their eye and it hatching! :S , not sure how true it was though!!! Hopefully just a tall story, but it sure made me paranoid!

lillangel, I'm wondering if this tissue burrowing bot is perhaps a different species to the ones we have in Austrlia. I know that there are cows in - I don't know- South America or Africa where the bot flies lay thier eggs under the skin and the larvae grow up under the skin and then burst out. I don't think that happens here but I'm not certain.

Gumleaf,

Totally agree with you! I just heard stories about people ingesting them when removing them from their horses so I had a bit of a look and seems that humans dont make good hosts for them! Thank God.. lol as the first time my horse didnt have many so I removed them with my finger nails!

well... wylaway & santhony my horsies are different two grey & a bay and a pinto foal. The two greys get them on their legs and manes waaaay more than the bay ?? and the foal (who's legs are all white) so far has had none - I think she gallops away from them, but she is a bit grubby, waxy & smelly :( (needs her first bath me thinks!!:woohoo: )so maybee they think she is a stinky one :(