Sand Colic

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sand Colic

Recently I came across John O'Leary's web site where he claims to have a preventative recipe for sand colic. I purchased the recipe and would like to hear from others who have tried this remedy with success before I use it myself. It seems a bit bizarre to say the least! According to the recipe it is almost foolproof, and I am keen to give it a go as my mare is displaying signs of sand colic and I am quite worried. Has anyone any feedback - good or not so good? Many thanks!

Re:Sand Colic

Good feedback from me! I have tried it and am very happy with it. Some horses take a bit to eat it but the results are worth perservering with it. Much nicer on their systems than some of the chemical crap around.

Thanks for the feedback. Did you think it was a bit bizzare? I can just imagine the reaction I would get if I told most of my horsey friends what I am about to do! Don't think I'll tell 'em.

Out of interest Amanda, what is in it??

Sorry, just realised after trolling on the net and not being able to find it anywhere (though, I did get to read a lot about what he thought about veterinary treatment of sand colic), I am probably not allowed to ask you what the ingredients are!

I am very curious now though I must admit.

I'd say go with your gut, if you've heard good things about it and the ingredients don't seem like they will be harmful to the horse then give it a try. Just use common sense :) Just think would you feed the ingredients to yourself or to your kids? If the answer is no then don't give them to your horse.

I've heard some good horsemen's remedies and I've heard some pretty awful ones (smearing stockholm tar onto the back of a horses tongue to cure a cough :unsure: and locking up ponies that have foundered without food and limited water for a few days to "clear the system" :unsure: ) so I'm always a little cautious.

kizza wrote:

Quote:
Out of interest Amanda, what is in it??

I read that about JO'L sand colic preventative. I am always concerned about sand colic with my lot as our soil is very sandy/dirt. Have just given 1 horse a psyllium course, but O'Leary reckons it is not a true cure. Giving lots of roughage helps, but now I'm not so sure about anything anymore, :unsure:
Can you give us a hint as to the key ingredient before having to fork out another $25 for the recipe ...... pm even!

Basically it is milk and honey and smells devine. The first time you give it to your horse they all turn their noses up and you have to persist but after this most don't have a problem. Our house is on sandstone and for years I have had occassional, intermitent colic (particularly with the good eaters- read pigs..). Last year one of our geldings had a big turn and after a visit to the hospital the vet suggested psyllium. Horse still didn't seem 'right' and nothing suspicious turned up in his droppings. I gave him the O'leary magic mix and heaps of sand appeared and horse much happier! Another side effect is the improvement in temperament and colour of the horse after treatment. I can't see any risk and I can attest to the upside in my horses so I would recommend it.

How is it administered? Drench, syringe or mix in feed ......

I mix it in their feed. If you have a fussy one you could syringe it (would need a shower afterwards) or get a vet to tube them but in the feed is the easiest.

I can't see that milk or honey would be poisonous :) I might have to give it a go. Our ponies like to hoover away in the dust for every scrap of food, hasn't been so much of a problem with all the rain we've had this year, but during the drought it concerned me.

Well, it looks like I may have to try this recipe. Like Kizza's lot, the horses are like vacuum cleaners. Even with big rubber mats in front of their feed bins, they still manage to spread their dinner around the paddock looking for the best bit, :( . Think I will use the haynets more often too ....
Do we need a dairy cow for this one, :lol:

Thanks everyone for your feedback! I think basically J O'L does not put the recipe up on his web site for everyone to access free because he is wary of offering a remedy that is not recognised by the "authorities" on the subject i.e the veterinarian fraternity. Being someone who is quite a cynic when it comes to traditional medicine (I hate doctors), I am usually one to try any alternative before resorting to medication and unnatural/chemical treatments. I would love to give you all the recipe, but wont out of respect to J O'L. My main concern was feeding my horse dairy products. I have decided to get the vet's diagnosis (in case it's something other than sand colic), and then do the J O'L treatment anyway on all my equines as a preventative. I'll let you know how I go. Thanks everyone!!!!

Horses aren't designed to eat dairy so they might get a bit of an upset tummy, but that is probably why all the sand comes out in the first place? I know that if you feed cats or dogs milk from cows they will get the runs, so I imagine horses will be the same.

I'd ask my parents but they've gone up north for a bit of a holiday/conference, and they are both vets so I don't know how open to the idea they'd be :laugh: I know mum hates the idea of giving horses beer when they have colic, but that is mainly because some of the old horsemen spend hours doing this when their horse has a twisted gut anyway and if they'd gone to the vet sooner they'd have been better off. For colic I'd definitely stick with the usual injections, but I guess in trying to remove sand from the intestinal tract to prevent sand colic, the milk may be a viable option.

I have had the vet out yesterday and we (me, the vet and an assistant) spent about two hours trying to get the drench tube down my mare's throat. We tried sedating her but no luck. I asked the vet about the J O'L method and she was keen for me to give it a go. She said they give their aged horses powdered milk in their feed to help line their stomach and was very eager to see how I went with the alternative method. I expected her to be horrified and tell me not to do it but I think I will give it a go this weekend. I'll let you know what happens!!!!!!????????!!!!!!

Hi Guys. I have used the recipe for there years now. I have three arabaians on a dusty sandish soil . In winter its very dry and dusty I feed it to the horses twice a year. They dont get hot. One horse I had made me hand feed him the whole lot of his feed. He was a grey and he went darker. My chestnut gelding has a lighter mane and tail that goes darker (bummer) . They shine up amazingly. I had to put a bigger rug on one of my horses. He was 14 at the time.
I will continue to use the remedy for the rest of my horsey days. I was told of a similar recipe when I was very young and first getting into horses but forgot all about it till I found John. Its the best money I have ever spent. My horses have never had colic. The horse in the pic is new and hasnt had the recipe yet. I will post another pic after he has had it (2 months later)

Sorry pic wouldn't load

Thanks for your feedback Ziona. I have not heard one negative thing about this treatment. I was going to give it a go this weekend but as I am going away for a couple of days I thought I would wait till I got back, mainly as I want to be around the place to see what effects it has on my mare. Will keep you posted.